Friday, May 24, 2013

My favorite salad

I'll be honest: I don't like salads.

I sort of like them when someone else makes them, but when given a choice, I generally choose *not* to have a salad.

There's some emotional baggage here, of course.  Weight loss plans generally involve copious salads.
My mother blames herself; she says that she focused her "new food" energy when I was a baby, on cooked veggies. Her logic was that most kids didn't like cooked veggies, but *everyone* eats salad.
Let that be a lesson to you moms out there!

Regardless, I'm an adult now, and I know that leafy greens are good for me, and that there are many tasty choice now (as opposed to iceberg or romaine, our only choices in the 70's), and my darling husband DOES like salad (weirdo), so I try to compromise and keep some fixin's in the house.

I've found that there is an arugula/spinach blend that I like, and it doesn't rot immediately after getting it home (my main issue with other lettuce blends).

I also learned about a FANTASTIC flavor combination from my friend Nic (@NicCanCook) from years ago at his restaurant (this isn't on the menu anymore though).  So without further ado, here's my one favorite salad that I make for myself.

Roasted pepper and goat cheese (and other stuff) salad

Goat Cheese and Roasted Red Pepper (and pork chop) salad


Ingredients:
1 roasted red pepper (from a jar, or fresh if happen to have them lying around)
2-3oz of soft unripe goat cheese, the kind that doesn't have a rind, that just looks like creamcheese
a few T of leftover onion (red, white, green, whatever you have)
3-4c salad greens (big single salad) (I like arugula/spinach, but this works on romaine, or whatever you have)
italian dressing (seriously)

Method:

Place the clean salad greens in a big bowl

Cut the roasted red pepper into small pieces, or slices, whatever you like, add to the bowl
Do the same with the onion

Crumble the goat cheeese over everything
Add in some protein if you like-- this works great with chicken or pork leftovers. Beef would be fine too.  Pretty much anything other than fish, I think.
Top with a couple T of italian dressing, or balsamic/oil and some herbs.
Toss to combine.

YUM! and? no math...

ETA: nutritional information
This of course depends on the actual products you use, and the amounts.  I'll give you a rough estimate, you'll need to multiply it out:
1oz soft goat cheese = 76 cal, 6g fat, 0.3g carb, 0 fiber, 5.3g protein
1 roasted red pepper = 10 cal, 0 fat, 3g carb, 1g fiber, 0g protein
1 T chopped onion, raw = 4 calories, 1g carb, negligible everything else
1c arugula = 5 calories, 0.7g carb, 0.3g fiber, negligible everything else
salad dressing - your choice of brand

No comments:

Post a Comment